Around 1990, the need to establish a museum for the city of Volos began to be felt by the local community and was adopted by the local administration. From 1989 to 2000, the City of Volos acquired the former Papantos tobacco warehouse and three other buildings in OT 49 plot, which in 1997 was earmarked for building the City of Volos Museum. The Papantos tobacco warehouse was built around 1920. Similarly to other tobacco warehouses, it also served as temporary housing for Asia Minor refugees up until the Synikismos housing project was launched. The refurbishment of the building and the redevelopment of the surrounding area began in 2006, jointly funded by the Thessalia Regional Operational Programme and the City of Volos. The project was designed and implemented by the Directorate of Works of the Municipality of Volos.